FANDOM


  • Snivystorm
    Snivystorm closed this thread because:
    Necroed
    12:15, January 27, 2018

    Ellie did bite David before she escaped, and Ellie is technically infected, as they confirmed it in the final chapter of the game. She did, however, develop an immunity to the virus due to the cordyceps in her mutating. This means that she can't be infected, but she does have the cordyceps inside of her, so would it even be possible for her to transmit the fungus to others? If she can, would it be the normal variant that turns it's host into runners/stalkers/clickers/bloaters, or would she transmit her mutated version and just make more immune humans? So would David, if given enough time, stayed unaffected by the bite, become infected, or become immune?

      Loading editor
    • It's clear that she has a dormant version of the infection inside of her. Joel claims that it's grown all over her brain, so it'd be foolish to assume that her bite doesn't carry some form of the Cordyceps fungus. However, whether or not it'd actually spread given its dormant nature is debatable and we can't know for sure...

        Loading editor
    • Well, he was acting crazy inside the restaurant so maybe he was infected

        Loading editor
    • Considering how she had just killed his right hand man and a crapton of his crew and attacked him, I don't think he was acting unreasonably angry when he attacked her at the restaurant.

        Loading editor
    • So you mean he was going to kill Ellie afterall? Do you think he was infected?

        Loading editor
    • Tentatively, yes. I think ht was infected. But I don't think there's enough evidence to draw a definitive conclusion.

        Loading editor
    • We'll never know. David died too quickly for us to find out.

      FWIW - One of my headcanons about Ellie's infection is that her mental and emotional state (and thus the chemical balance in her brain) affects the behaviour of the Cordyceps spores in her system. When she's angry or frightened, the spores are an agressive, infectious agent. When her emotions are more positive, the spores instead pass on her immunity, 'infecting' the host with a version of CBI  that creates hunter/killer spores that destroy further infections.

        Loading editor
    • Ellie could have infected other survivors of the group, if you bite the person who is strangling you and run for stealth and leave the area he/she could be infected. Yes I know the "bite" was a sub for the "hitting heads" animation.

        Loading editor
    • My only clue if Ellie is infected is that when she drowned and Joel didnt perform the mouth-to-mouth procedure

        Loading editor
    • 95.185.28.54 wrote: My only clue if Ellie is infected is that when she drowned and Joel didnt perform the mouth-to-mouth procedure

      How does not getting mouth-to-mouth prove that you're infected?

        Loading editor
    • Brainwasher5 wrote:

      95.185.28.54 wrote: My only clue if Ellie is infected is that when she drowned and Joel didnt perform the mouth-to-mouth procedure

      How does not getting mouth-to-mouth prove that you're infected?


      Saliva is one of the main transmission vectors of CBI. Mouth-to-mouth would risk spit-sharing and all you need is a mouth sore or dental abscess (something all-too-possible in the post-apocalyptic world) and Ellie's spores woudl get into your system.

        Loading editor
    • There's no proof of Ellie actually being infectious, though.

        Loading editor
    • Brainwasher5 wrote:
      There's no proof of Ellie actually being infectious, though.


      Precisely. All we know is that the Fireflies' tame doctors thought that her blood contained viable spores. We also know that Joel knew she was infected and may have been worried about her being infectious.

        Loading editor
    • I think that Ellie can spread it by biting.

        Loading editor
    • But would David still want to eat Ellie? Ellie did tell him she was infected.

        Loading editor
    • 37.231.123.89 wrote:
      But would David still want to eat Ellie? Ellie did tell him she was infected.

      I really don't think David was interested in eating Ellie. I suspect that he'd decided that she was going to be his new 'comfort girl'.

        Loading editor
    • I dont eat children. im nice.

        Loading editor
    • I don't feel that Ellie is infectious. If she were, it probably would have been addressed at some point. I mean, everyone would have to take precautions when around her, to make sure that she doesn't accidentally scratch someone, and that there's no contact with open wounds (which they all constantly are dealing with.) I dunno, I just feel like it would have at least been mentioned at some point if that were her situation. Her being infectious would be a pretty big deal for her- it would seriously effect the kind of life she's able to live with other people, to the point where she'd likely feel pretty depressed about it.

      Also, with the whole David thing, when he surprises her in the restaurant, he asks her "how did you do it?" I think he was talking about how did she "fake" the mark on her arm, as he realized that her bite didn't actually infect him. So, I don't think that we're supposed to wonder whether or not she infected him.

        Loading editor
    • ^ You know I always wonder what David means when he asks Ellie, "How did you do it? :)

        Loading editor
    • I thought David meant how she was able to killed majority of his men.

        Loading editor
    • 68.19.11.100 wrote:
      I thought David meant how she was able to killed majority of his men.


      Well, you can get through basically that entire portion of the game without killing any enemies, so it wouldn't make sense for him to be referring to that... Actually, most of this game you can get through by just sneaking around (when there are human enemies, at least.) Why would he even be confused as to how she killed his men? He knew way before that she was capable of doing so. I mean, she killed his men by... just killing them. It's not exactly some grand mystery worthy of asking.

        Loading editor
    • ^ LOL, yeah you're right. :) It just that I never thought he was talking about Ellie's bite mark. I'm not saying you are wrong, btw.

        Loading editor
    • Well, I'm not saying he's definitely talking about that (I mean, it's not completely clear) but I can't think of anything else he could plausibly be referring to.

        Loading editor
    • ^ Oh ok. :)

        Loading editor
    • MayonnEgg wrote:
      I don't feel that Ellie is infectious. If she were, it probably would have been addressed at some point.

      The fact is that there really was no point in the game (except the time in SLC) where anyone who could have had the ability to find out had access to Ellie. We do know that the spores in her blood seem to be viable when cultured in laboratory conditions (I think one of the lab recorders has that information). There are also occasional and debatable hints from Joel's behaviour that he may have suspicions about this.

      Personally, I call it an as-of-yet-unresolved mystery, possibly something that the writing team wanted to remain unknown. It may be addressed in a sequel.

        Loading editor
    • BenRG wrote:
      MayonnEgg wrote:
      I don't feel that Ellie is infectious. If she were, it probably would have been addressed at some point.
      The fact is that there really was no point in the game (except the time in SLC) where anyone who could have had the ability to find out had access to Ellie. We do know that the spores in her blood seem to be viable when cultured in laboratory conditions (I think one of the lab recorders has that information). There are also occasional and debatable hints from Joel's behaviour that he may have suspicions about this.

      Personally, I call it an as-of-yet-unresolved mystery, possibly something that the writing team wanted to remain unknown. It may be addressed in a sequel.


      I agree that we definitely don't know for sure either way, but by the time Joel and Tess get to smuggling Ellie, she's already been "infected" for 3 weeks. I find it hard to believe that at no point in that 3 week time period the fireflies didn't think to make sure whether or not she was in danger of infecting those around her. I've done some googling and it looks like nobody at ND has confirmed or denied, so you may be right that it's something they left up in the air to possibly explore later.

        Loading editor
    • I dont think that Ellie infected David. From the tone of her voice i think we can conclude that she just thought of something on the spot to distract him and play for time. If she really could transmit the infection then that would severly constrain her social mobility, that would constrict the character and be just a bit too depressing, the developers would have mentioned that in some way.

        Loading editor
    • I think that David got infected from the one part in the gameplay where you're in the building, but away from the deer, (you know, with the Bloater), because when you start killing the other Infected on your own, David has a lot of situations where he's staggering in struggle with an Infected. I speak from experience because it's usually what kills me. I haven't played that specific time on Grounded, however, so he may be more independent in that game mode. He definitely IS infected, because of two reasons.

      1- His face when Ellie says that he is. It gives true honesty and  defeat. He doesn't even say otherwise--he gets straight to the point.

      2. When you're in the restaurant, he eventually points out that if Ellie was indeed infected, she wouldn't try that hard to stay alive. He knows that he is fighting the girl that broke his finger and killed most of his men, so he isn't trying to stay alive at all. He knows the threats, and now that I think about it, that's a very interesting thought for the whole impact on the scene--He knew that Ellie was a deathly problem.

      And that would be a superb idea for the sequel, but we'd have to leave the creativity to Neil. I don't think Ellie could infect people through bites, because she isn't completely infected. I don't know the whole science, but I definitely don't agree with Ellie's body being able to give off a virus or whatever through DNA. If she was giving off a virus, she would have to have it, but she's immune, so it wouldn't have the same effect. When it comes to that, I think of something like the cold. When you have the cold, people typically stay away from you because, like, ew, germs. Just kidding, it's obviously so they don't get sick. But if you become immune to it and it isn't like a sickness anymore, you're just a perfectly normal person with a usually runny nose and cough, people wouldn't exactly GET a cold from you, you know?

      Well, however it is, no, I don't think so. My apologies for such a long comment, but I'm sure most of us were lunging towards any logical answer.

        Loading editor
    • I don't think Ellie is able to spread the infection because one way it spreads is through getting scratched so if your blood even gets touched by an infected you will become infected. When Ellie was taking care of Joel's impalement in Left Behind she had Joel's blood all over her hands implying that she touched his blood and if she were infectious, it would get into his blood stream and he would become infected. Seeing that he doesn't get infected i think it's safe to assume she's not infectious.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message