The switchblade is a small folding pocket knife similar in size to a Balisong (or Butterfly knife). In The Last of Us, Ellie carries a switchblade with her. It is also her signature weapon, having it make her slip through tight situations like stabbing the guard's knee that was scanning her when captured with Joel and Tess, giving them time to kill the soldiers.
It can be viewed as a shiv that doesn't degrade but takes about 1.5x the time Joel needs to stealth kill a victim and can be used to kill from the front.
- Ellie can jump from behind a victim and cling to their neck and shoulders while rapidly thrusting the blade to their stomach and chest area. This is equivelant to Joel's shiv attack, but slower and not nearly as silent.
- When running, Ellie can use the momentum to have one giant thrust to the abdomen instantly killing the victim similar to Joel's running move except he uses blunt weapons and strikes for the head.
- From the front, Ellie can jump up to reach the victim's head then thrust the blade into their skull killing them instantly.
- The weapon was first seen carried by Ellie in the VGA 2011 trailer.
- The trailer demonstrated Ellie's skill with the weapon as Joel is almost overpowered by an infected.