|Weapon Type||Long gun|
|First Found||The Outskirts (taken from a dead Firefly)|
|Base Clip Capacity||1|
|Base Max. Ammo||6|
This rifle appears to be an ordinary bolt-action hunting rifle. The hunting rifle is modeled after a Winchester Model 70.
The weapon is especially useful against armored foes like ballistic vest-wearing soldiers and fungus-plated bloaters because of its armor piercing abilities. When fully upgraded, this weapon will always kill with 1 shot(human enemies) to the body, even on armored enemies, and 1 headshot on clickers. Headshots result in dramatic results. If it is not upgraded, this weapon will not kill a helmet-wearing human.
The rifle is first found by Joel after Tess sacrifices herself to buy them time, taking it off a dead Firefly on the second level of the Capitol building which he keeps.
Ellie briefly uses another hunting rifle to cover Joel when they encounter a group of hunters and again during the Winter chapter when she takes a rifle from David to hold on him in lieu of her bow, and maintains it for some time until her capture. The rifle has no scope, but is upgraded to a three shot capacity and power.
In Factions, the Hunting Rifle is available from the start. It costs two loadout points. The player starts out with 6 rounds and it costs 270 Parts to purchase 3 more rounds.
When upgraded, the reload speed and starting ammo is increased, as well as decreasing the time it takes to zoom in.
- Upgrade one costs 400 Parts.
- Upgrade two costs 800 Parts. (The second upgrade adds a second level of zoom)
When a player is aiming the hunting rifle, the light reflecting off the scope lens can be seen, which can give away the player's position. It is recommended to only aim the rifle when an enemy is in view.
While the Hunting Rifle can inflict great damage with a single shot, the reload time is slow; usually this is not a good strategy, unless you shoot at the enemy at close range and drain the rest of the foe's health with punches or melee weapons, The perk 'Hawk-eyed' level 2 can be extremely helpful for a sniper, since on a gunfight, the sniper can mark the enemy and then predict when the foe is going to be uncovered, thus, giving the upper hand.
|Reload Speed||Allows you to reload the weapon faster.|
|Clip Capacity||Lets the weapon hold more rounds before having to reload.|
|Scope||Adds a scope to the weapon.|
|Armor Piercing||Rounds fired by the weapon can go through armor.|
|Power||Rounds fired by the weapon deal more damage.|
- Oddly enough, after upgrading the magazine size to 2 or more bullets, the gun does not function like a real bolt-action rifle. Instead of pulling back the bolt in between shots, the game allows the player to instead fire off the entire magazine semi-auto before pulling back the bolt and reloading.
- Somehow the rifle's bolt switches sides when you switch shoulders while aiming.
- In some promotional artworks and in the cover of the game, Ellie is seen wielding a hunting rifle with a scope. However, in game, she is only given a scopeless rifle by Joel and David.
- The Hunting Rifle is based loosely off of the Winchester Model 70 rifle.