|First Found||The Outskirts|
|Melee Upgrade||Via crafting|
Joel can create a Molotov Cocktail by binding an alcohol-soaked wick to the neck of a bottle of hard liquor with a high alcohol content. When the wick is lit and the Molotov is broken, it ignites and bathes the area in flames.
Crafting a Molotov Cocktail requires the same ingredients as a Health kit; a rag and alcohol.
Perhaps the single most effective weapon available against The Infected; they will kill any enemy save Bloaters with a single hit, they render Bloaters susceptible to other weapons by burning away their thick fungus armor, as a thrown weapon they do not give away one's position, and the screams enemies produce as they die draws other Infected to their position.
The same ingredients plus binding are needed to make a Molotov. The Molotov will instantly kill an enemy via direct contact, even with full health, but will only down victims with body armor on, and if the enemy is near the middle of the blast radius, they will skip "downed" mode altogether and be instantly executed, making it arguably the deadliest weapon in multiplayer as it can be thrown in cover, into building, over fences, etc.
It moves quickly upon being thrown and unlike the Nail Bomb, the Molotov will make effect upon impact, If the thrower is at a relatively short distance and throws a Molotov with the enemy being in the center of the radius, it moves fast enough to not give the enemy enough time to run away and killing him/her.
The only downside is that it can burn the thrower if they are caught in the blast and that the throw must be perfectly placed which can be very difficult as the radius is really small, also they use the same ingredients of health kits and binding is considerably less common in multiplayer.
- The Molotov was first seen in the E3 stage demo where Joel crafted a Molotov Cocktail and ignites it to kill a hostile survivor in an abandoned hotel.
- In the PAX Prime demo, an enemy barely misses Joel with a Molotov, forcing him to charge at Joel, who kills him with his revolver.
- In the E3 2012 demo, Ellie seems to be disturbed by Joel using the Molotov on a hunter, as upon seeing the burned body she says "Holy shit, Joel". Joel responds by saying "Keep it together".
- The lit wick is very dim, even in dark areas and blocked out when behind cover. This may be intentional so stealth won't be easily broken by equipping it.
- The radius of the weapon is very big (Regardless that the radius display is small, players outside the radius are still going to be burned, and even if very far away, the foe will get damaged).
- You can pull accurate, slow throws or quick and sudden throws (L1 + R1 or R1 only).
- Is a silent weapon that doesn't shows your position in the smuggler foe minimap.
- In Factions, one Molotov can take away the victim's full armor and health, leaving them downed.
- Is really easy for this weapon to backfire on you if you don't use it carefully.