|First Found||The Outskirts|
|Melee Upgrade||Via crafting|
Molotov Cocktails are created by binding an alcohol-soaked wick to the neck of a bottle of hard liquor with a high alcohol content. When the wick is lit and the Molotov is broken, it ignites and bathes the area in flames.
Crafting a Molotov Cocktail requires the same ingredients as a Health kit; a rag and alcohol.
Perhaps the single most effective weapon available; they instantly kill any enemy save Bloaters with a single hit, they render Bloaters susceptible to other weapons by burning away their thick fungus armor, as a thrown weapon they do not give away one's position, and the screams enemies produce as they die draws other Infected to their position.
The same ingredients plus binding are needed to make a Molotov. The Molotov instantly kills unarmored enemies via direct contact, even with full health, but lucky armored opponents with quick reflexes can survive a Molotov. If the enemy is close enough to the point of impact or damaged enough, they skip "downed" mode altogether and are instantly executed, making it arguably the deadliest weapon in multiplayer.
It moves quickly upon being thrown and unlike the Nail Bomb, the Molotov activates on impact. If the thrower is at a relatively short distance and throws a Molotov with the enemy being in the center of the radius, it moves fast enough to not give the enemy enough time to escape.
Molotovs are inappropriate for stealth, as the glow from the lit rag can give away players' positions even if they are behind cover or otherwise out of sight. Molotovs benefit from the Explosion Expert skill by having their area of effect increased.
Molotovs can cause suicides if thrown too closely to the player's position. The burn damage left on the ground can be exploited by enemies using the Awareness skill to locate users.
- The radius of the weapon is very big (Regardless that the radius display is small, players outside the radius are still going to be burned, and even if very far away, the foe will get damaged).
- You can pull accurate, slow throws or quick throws (L1 + R1 or R1 only).
- Is a silent weapon that doesn't shows your position in the smuggler foe minimap.
- In Factions, one Molotov can take away the victim's full armor and health, leaving them downed.
- Is really easy for this weapon to backfire on you if you don't use it carefully.
- The Molotov was first seen in the E3 stage demo where Joel crafted a Molotov Cocktail and ignites it to kill a hostile survivor in an abandoned hotel.
- In the PAX Prime demo, an enemy barely misses Joel with a Molotov, forcing him to charge at Joel, who kills him with his revolver.
- In the E3 2012 demo, Ellie seems to be disturbed by Joel using the Molotov on a hunter, as upon seeing the burned body she says "Holy shit, Joel". Joel responds by saying "Keep it together".