|Weapon Type||Long gun|
Joel kills the Hunter after making it to the house, using the nearby cars and houses as cover. Joel then uses the rifle to cover Ellie, Sam, and Henry from the oncoming waves of Hunters; a single hit taking out each one. The Hunter's Humvee soon arrives and begins to close in on the trio as Joel shoots to no avail. The Humvee was finally destroyed when Joel managed to snipe the gunner as he was about to throw a Molotov cocktail, immolating the interior and sending the vehicle crashing into a house. The Military Sniper was then abandoned when a large group of Infected, attracted by the noise of the battle, began to swarm the neighborhood.
The military sniper rifle is available to purchase in Factions. To unlock, the player needs to collect 6900 supplies, making it the most expensive purchasable weapon to acquire. It costs three loadout points and requires 400 Parts to purchase, very expensive when compared to other purchaseables. When purchased the player is given four rounds; it costs 480 Parts to purchase four more rounds, and the price goes up by 80 parts for each purchase thereafter unless the player switches classes.
Like other scoped weapons, if a player aims down the scope, the light reflecting off the scope lens can be seen. This can give away the player's position.
It has the highest damage output out of all guns. In practice, however, it requires the same amount of bullets to down as the hunting rifle: one headshot or two body shots. However, it holds a couple of key advantages over the hunting rifle. The scope can be zoomed in further than the the hunting rifle and El Diablo, ensuring one can hit their target over almost any distance. A headshot from it instantly executes unarmored enemies and even some armored if their health is low enough; the armor is also scrapped off completely making it a great choice for long distance killing as enemies won't be able to revive targets. It even has a much faster effective firing rate than the other guns, as it holds five rounds per magazine and is semi-automatic. Despite its power, recoil is not high, so it can fire repeated accurate shots should the need arise.
- It is based on the Russian Orsis T-5000, chambered in .338 Lapua
- The Military Sniper uses a Russian 'SVD Type' scope, characterized by an arrow shaped aiming reticule, a curved range scale and a numbered range finder. It is currently the only weapon to use this reticule.
- The rifle in the campaign never runs out of ammo.
- Additionally, it never requires reloading. Joel simply pulls back the bolt after each shot.
- The Campaign rifle is a bolt-action, while the Factions rifle is semi-automatic.
- The Military Sniper is similar to the Dragon Rifle from the Uncharted series, in that, both, in the Campaign mode, are an instant down regardless of where the shot does land.
- In Grounded difficulty, the Military Sniper does 1,000 damage to Joel, significantly higher than the highest possible health of 140.