It's Winter, and we see Ellie kill a rabbit with an arrow. She then spots a deer and hunts it down, hitting it with the bow a couple times before tracking its blood trail. It collapses near a barn and some abandoned cabins. As she approaches it, two strangers appear, David and James. They offer to trade with her for the meat, and she says that if they have medicine, they can have the whole deer. David asks her to come with them, but she refuses and sends James to get penicillin while Ellie holds David at gunpoint. They go inside a large warehouse to avoid the cold, as a large number of infected start to surround them. They hold their position for a while but are forced to run away, only to get cornered again. After they dispatch them, she sits down with David as he tells how a bunch of his men were killed a few weeks back by "a crazy man", a man who was traveling with a little girl. Alarmed, she gets up and points the rifle at him as James arrives. David orders him to stand down and give her the medicine, and Ellie runs away back to an abandoned house, where Joel is unconscious and feverish. She gives him the medicine and lays down next to him.
The next morning, Ellie wakes up hearing the bandits outside. She mounts Callus and rides off in order to get their attention, but they kill the horse, forcing her to hide in an abandoned resort. She makes her way to an inn, and as she tries to leave, David shows up behind her and chokes her until she passes out.
Joel wakes up, and as he goes outside to look for her, a group of remaining bandits starts to shoot him. He deals with them, and manage to capture two. He then proceeds to torture them for Ellie's whereabouts, and when one of them gives in, Joel kills them.
Ellie wakes up in a cage; she sees James cuts off a corpse's limbs for his group to eat. David comes in, and says that he doesn't want to kill her — he only wishes for her to join them. Now realizing his true intentions, she refuses to cooperate, breaking his finger to make a grab for his keys. Later, he and James hold her down on the table to kill her for food, and she tells them she's infected. Taking advantage of their distraction, she grabs David's knife, kills James, and runs out into a snowstorm.
Armed with only her switchblade, she goes to an abandoned restaurant while David tracks her. Holding the keys to her freedom, Ellie must sneak and catch David by surprise — while the building starts to catch fire and burn. After stabbing him several times, he panics and grabs her by her hair, slamming her into the ground. They both fall unconscious. Ellie wakes up first, and crawls to get his discarded machete. As she gets close, he rushes over to kick her, taunting that she should just give up. When she struggles to move, he hits her again, pinning her down and nearly strangling her. She blindly grasps for the hilt of the machete, and slashes his arm. Caught unexpectedly, he screams and rolls off her. She repeatedly hacks at his face, until Joel arrives and pulls her off.
Holding a crying Ellie in his arms, Joel consoles her and leads her away.
"Lakeside Resort" contains the following collectibles:
- 11 Artifacts
- The following artifacts are already in Ellie's backpack, at the start of the chapter. Asterisks indicate special dialogue when an item is zoomed in.
- No Pun Intended
- No Pun Intended: Volume Too
- To Get To The Other Side!
- Riley's Pendant*
- Sam's Robot*
- Note from Mom* (must be flipped to trigger dialogue.)
- Joel & Sarah Photo*
- 2 Firefly Pendants
- Travis Kristof 000283 is on a table in the room that the Clicker emerges from once David boosts Ellie up in search of the ladder while they are fleeing the Infected.
- Paul D. Braun 000153 is on a bench in the band stand to the left of the exit from the first cabin that Ellie passes through after Callus is killed.
- 1 Training Manual
- The Smoke: Shaping training manual is behind a shiv door that is reached by going through the motel opposite Joel once you are playing as him again and he appears in the snow next to a sign.
- 2 Comics
- Comic number 4 (Uncertainty) is in a desk draw in a room to the left of the one that Ellie tracks the deer through.
- Comic number 8 (Negentropy) is on a bench overlooking the lake on a picnic area, to the rear and left of the exit to the first pipe Ellie crawls through after following the "Nature Trail" sign.
- When fighting off the Infected in the beginning room, it's possible that David can glitch outside the room. If he's fighting an Infected near a wall, and another comes in, David might be outside. You have to restart the encounter, since David can't move the locker or open the door.
- The woman who David talks to about Ellie and her infection runs into a building afterwards, but a rare glitch causes her to be unable to enter, which causes her to run around near the door. Ellie can walk through her, and cannot shoot her.
- If Ellie picks up a shotgun from one of the cannibals and carries both the shotgun and the hunting rifle on her back, the two guns will appeared overlapped into a single gun. This is due mainly to her smaller stature compared to Joel.
- When escaping from David, the player will be able to enter a store. On one of the store shelves, one can see an Easter egg of a PlayStation 3 and two DualShock controllers.
- In the pet store Ellie enters after escaping from David, dialogue can be heard near the front doors in which David tells a woman that Ellie has escaped and is infected. The woman responds that she'll hide with the children, revealing that David may have been telling Ellie the truth when he claimed that their community was made up of families.
- It's implied that David is possibly a Nolan North confirms this in this interview with IGN. , and was going to rape Ellie right before she kills him. David's voice actor
- This is the only chapter that has a non-infected boss battle, when Ellie fights David.
- There is a stereo in the house where Ellie is taking care of the injured Joel, near the entrance: it is exactly the same model of the one that can be seen in Sarah's room at the very beginning of the game.
- When moving the locker, you don't need to help David as he moves it himself, albeit slower. Also, the Clicker won't appear.
- Ellie's brutal hacking of David is similar to Joel's beating of Henry. Both:
- Have one of the two beating someone heavily.
- Have the other stop them, uttering the same lines; "[Name], stop!".
- Joel admits to trying to kill Henry, Ellie successfully doing just that to David.