Items are scavenged and used by Joel and Ellie across their journey in The Last of Us. For crafting materials, the amount you receive can be determined by the circle surrounding the object's symbol, so it is recommended to check Joel's backpack before picking up a material you're almost full on.
They are grouped into nine main categories:
- Throwable Object - Some items can be picked up and then used as weapons, such bottles and bricks. Some crafted objects are also used as throwable weapons, like a Molotov Cocktail.
- Ammunition - Arguably the most important item, ammunition is needed for Joel's firearms. It can be found on defeated survivors but is usually in very short supply.
- Binding - Bindings are materials used to bind one or more items together, like Duct tape.
- Alcohol - Alcohol can be used in crafting — for instance, combining a rag and alcohol together will give Joel a Molotov Cocktail. Also, it is a critical part of Medkits.
- Blade - Blades such as scissors, can be used for Melee Upgrades or to make Shivs.
- Sugar - Packets of oxidised sugar, these do not replenish Joel's health, but can be used to craft smoke bombs.
- Explosive - Rare explosive materials used to make smoke and nail bombs.
- Rag - Discarded cloths used to make molotov cocktails and medkits.
- Supplements - Used to boost survival skills in the single-player campaign.
As well as component items, sometimes you may on very rare occasions encounter complete crafted items such as Medikits, Shivs, and upgraded melee weapons. This most commonly occurs when the game is introducing a new item to the player.
Also, items with a "+" symbol directly heal the player and give no materials.
Main article: Crafting
Crafting is an important element in The Last of Us. When two (or more) items are combined, they may be crafted to form something new and useful to Joel and Ellie. Additionally, many items can be used for many different end products. This means that the player must quickly learn to manage resources.