They are grouped into nine main categories:
- Throwable objects - Some items can be picked up and then used as weapons, such as bricks and cinder blocks. Some crafted objects are also used as throwable weapons like a Molotov Cocktail.
- Ammunition - Arguably the most important item, ammunition is needed for Joel's firearms. It can be found on defeated survivors but is usually in very short supply.
- Battery - Batteries are used in battery-powered appliances, like a torch.
- Binding - Bindings are materials used to bind one or more items. Duct tape, toilet paper and string are good examples of bindings.
- Alcohol - Alcohol can be used in crafting—for instance, combining toilet paper and alcohol together will give Joel a Molotov Cocktail. On the other hand, it is a critical part of Medkits
- Blade - Blade are sharp objects that can cut such as sissors or nails.
- Sugar - Rare supplies of food and nutrition, these do not replenish Joel's health.
- Explosives - Rare explosive weapons.
- Canister - These include tin cans and water bottles.
- Rag - cloths and such