They are grouped into nine main categories:
- Throwable objects - Some items can be picked up and then used as weapons, such bottles as bricks. Some crafted objects are also used as throwable weapons like a Molotov Cocktail.
- Ammunition - Arguably the most important item, ammunition is needed for Joel's firearms. It can be found on defeated survivors but is usually in very short supply.
- Binding - Bindings are materials used to bind one or more items together, like Duct tape.
- Alcohol - Alcohol can be used in crafting — for instance, combining a rag and alcohol together will give Joel a Molotov Cocktail. Also it is a critical part of Medkits.
- Blade - Blades such as scissors, can be used for Melee Upgrades or to make Shivs.
- Sugar - Packets of oxidised sugar, these do not replenish Joel's health, but can be used to craft Smoke bombs.
- Explosives - Rare explosive materials used to make smoke and nail bombs
- Rag - Discarded cloths used to make molotov cocktails and medkits.
Main article: Crafting
Crafting is an important element in The Last of Us. When two items are combined, they may be crafted to form something new and useful to Joel and Ellie.