Humvees can be seen being used by the military as early as Chapter 2: The Quarantine Zone. An unarmed version equipped with loudspeakers is seen driving around the Boston Quarantine Zone. When Joel and Ellie leave the Capitol building, one chases them to the subway entrance and opens fire on them. This is the only one seen being used by the military.
When Joel and Ellie reached Pittsburgh, a group of Hunters using a captured Humvee sporadically attacks a a small group of survivors which Joel witnesses while searching for a pallet for Ellie to use. The same Humvee is seen again killing two people who were likely part of the group they attacked earlier.
The Humvee is then used on Joel and Ellie as they make their way through the city on foot, leading them into the encounter with Henry and Sam. It is armed with an M2 .50 calibre turret-mounted machine gun and has extra armor attached to the windshield, barbed wire on the front and sides, a human body strung on the hood, and a "RUN" sign on the front bumper.
In Chapter 6: The Suburbs, the same Humvee catches up to the group and attacks them along with other Hunters on foot. Joel, providing overwatch with a military sniper rifle, destroys the Humvee when a Hunter wielding a Molotov accidentally drops his weapon inside the vehicle after being shot by Joel, immolating the interior of the vehicle and causing it to crash into a nearby house.
- The machine gun on the Military Humvee is not manned by a soldier when firing, suggesting it is remote controlled. It is likely fitted with the M151 Protector Remote Weapons Station.
- The machine gun on the Hunter's Humvee never seems to reload or run out of ammunition, though this could have been done when not in view.
- The Hunter's Humvee appears to be a cross between the M1123 and M1151 variants.
- It is unknown where the Military and the Hunters get fuel for their vehicles. However, Bill stated to Joel "You'd be amazed how many cars still got gas in 'em.", suggesting that they take fuel from abandoned vehicles. This though could be false since military Humvee's use different type of fuel, Jet fuel to be exact.
- It's unknown how the Hunter's Humvee left Pittsburgh and entered the suburbs since the bridge was destroyed.