Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article, Humvee, has insufficient information and needs more content. You can assist The Last of Us Wiki by expanding this article as much as you can.|
A Humvee, or High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV), is an unusable vehicle in The Last of Us.
Humvees can be seen being used by the military as early as Chapter 2: The Quarantine Zone. An unarmed version equipped with loudspeakers is seen driving around the Boston Quarantine Zone. When Joel, Tess and Ellie are in the Outskirts, several military Humvees equipped with searchlights and machine guns search for them, ready to open fire with their guns if they spot them. Later, when Joel and Ellie leave the Capitol building, one chases them to the subway entrance and opens fire on them. This is the last time one is seen being used by the military.
When Joel and Ellie reached Pittsburgh, a group of Hunters are seen using a Humvee, which they managed to repair after taking the Quarantine zone, to sporadically attacks a small group of survivors which Joel witnesses while searching for a pallet for Ellie to use. The same Humvee is seen again killing two people. The Humvee is then used against Joel and Ellie as they make their way through the city on foot, leading them into the encounter with Henry and Sam.
When the group are escaping the city through the bridge, the Humvee finds them, almost shooting Joel. It gives chase, even smashing through abandoned vehicles to get to them, but to no avail.
In Chapter 6: The Suburbs, the same Humvee catches up to the group and attacks them along with other Hunters on foot. Joel, providing cover fire with a military sniper rifle, destroys the Humvee when a Hunter wielding a Molotov accidentally drops his weapon inside the vehicle after being shot by Joel, immolating the interior of the vehicle and causing it to crash into a nearby house.
This is the last time a working Humvee is seen in the entire game.
Although all of the Humvees seen in the game are created by the military, there are several variants in use by several factions. The Hunters Humvee is camouflaged and has its machine gun mounted in the center of the roof, with a hatch just behind for the gunner to fire it. It appears to have been customized somewhat by the hunters, armed with an M2 .50 caliber turret-mounted machine gun and has extra armor attached to the windshield, barbed wire on the front and sides, a human corpse strung on the hood, and a "RUN" sign on the front bumper, confirming that the Hunters have a sadistic nature.
The updated version currently used by the military has its 50 caliber machine gun mounted in a turret on the roof, with shields on the front and sides to protect the gunner. There also doesn't appear to be a hatch on the top for the gunner, implying that the gun is remote controlled by those inside, reducing the risk of getting shot by return fire.
When encountered, the 50. Caliber machine gun is a very powerful weapon, draining 20-80 of Joel's health per hit depending on the difficulty, making it one of the strongest guns in the game. The gun is very inaccurate, however, meaning all the player has to do is run away from it; only one or two bullets will connect.
It is impossible to damage the vehicle at all, even with a bomb or a molotov. Even the Military sniper fails to deal any damage to it, despite the strongest gun in the game. A Smoke Bomb, however, will cause the gun to fire less often, making for an easier escape.
- The machine gun on the Military Humvee is not manned by a soldier when firing, suggesting it is remote controlled. It is likely fitted with the M151 Protector Remote Weapons Station. It is manually loaded though, as shown by how a female soldier is reloading it when Joel walks past one in the quarantine zone.
- The machine gun on the Hunters' Humvee never seems to reload or run out of ammunition, though this could have been done when not in view.
- The Hunter's Humvee appears to be a cross between the M1123 and M1151 variants.
- The Humvee used by the Hunters has the Hunter logo from Factions MP painted in white on both front doors.
- It is unknown where the Military and the Hunters get fuel for their vehicles. However, Bill stated to Joel "You'd be amazed how many cars still got gas in 'em.", suggesting that they take fuel from abandoned vehicles. This would be harder than for a regular car, since military Humvees use diesel fuel. It might be that the hunters take the fuel from larger trucks. It is also possible, however, that the hunters are making biodiesel. As for the military, it is possible that they simply still have access to petroleum reserves.
- It's unknown how the Hunter's Humvee left Pittsburgh and entered the suburbs since the bridge was destroyed. However, it seems that the bridge may have been bi-level, and only the lower level was completely destroyed (leaving the upper level intact for possible vehicle crossings). This would explain why the Hunters felt the need to guard the bridge.
- If Joel shoots the Humvee, it will take no damage and he will comment on his weapons being useless.