They are issues of Savage Starlight, a fictional in-game comic book series set in the future. There are a total of fourteen comic books scattered throughout The Last of Us' singleplayer.
Plot synopsis Edit
Set in the year 2186, the plot of Savage Starlight centers around Dr. Daniela Star's adventures in space. She discovers a method of traveling faster than light via a jump drive, and soon finds that a group of hostile extraterrestrial known as the Travelers are threatening mankind.
List of comics Edit
The following is a list of all the comics you can find in The Last of Us.
|1||Termination Shock||Pittsburgh||On the floor of a bus outside the hunters' building in Pittsburgh.|
|2||Messenger Particle||The Suburbs||In the bathroom of a white house in the suburban neighborhood|
|3||Force Carrier||Pittsburgh||Received automatically at the beginning of the chapter.|
|4||Uncertainty||Lakeside Resort||In a side room of the weathered barn that the wounded deer runs through while being chased by Ellie.|
|5||Foreign Element||Tommy's Dam||On the way to Tommy's dam, head right of the bridge support to find an overturned car. The comic will be next to the corpse nearby.|
|6||Accretion||Pittsburgh||On the second floor of the hotel, in the bar and lounge area.|
|7||Free Radicals||The University||Turn around and head up the road at the beginning of the chapter. The comic will be found on the hood of the faded, blue car in front of a large, white truck.|
|8||Negentropy||Lakeside Resort||While escaping from David's men, Ellie will duck into a pipe; on the other side, go up the steps to a small resting area. The comic is on one of the two benches.|
|9||Precipitate||Bus Depot||After the giraffe cutscene up on the roof, head down the stairs and go into the men's restroom. Near one of the stalls, the comic will be found on the floor.|
|10||Deep Phase||Pittsburgh||After meeting Sam and Henry, follow them and head down the stairs of the house. Unlock the shiv door and head to the left to find a child's bedroom. The comic will be sitting on the desk.|
|11||Antiparticles||The Suburbs||After escaping the hunters in Pittsburgh and washing ashore the beach, investigate the wrecked boat nearby to find this inside.|
|12||Zero Point||Tommy's Dam||At the ranch house Ellie runs off to after she is discovered missing at the dam, head upstairs and enter the bedroom on the immediate left. The comic is next to a stack of books and some throw pillows in front of the window.|
|13||Catalysis||Bus Depot||On the ventilation shaft in the underground tunnel.|
|14||Singularity||Jackson||In the forest, bear right until you see a rusted truck. The comic is on the driver's seat.|
- Endure and Survive (Bronze Trophy ) Collect all comics
- Scavenger (Gold Trophy ) Found all collectibles
- On the backside of each book, the Dark Horse Comics logo can be seen at the bottom next to the barcode.
- Dark Horse Comics is a real publishing company, and they published The Last of Us: American Dreams.
- Throughout the game, when Joel finds a comic, he tells Ellie and she claims she would read it later. However, she is never shown doing this. It's possible Ellie reads them between seasons.
- The character for the comics resembles that of the InFAMOUS DC Comics written by William Harms. While the art design resembles that of the Mass Effect franchise created by Bioware.
- During Ellie and Joel's journey in the game, you can see some advertisements for Savage Starlight: the Movie.
- The name of the ship, the Kobyashi, is likely a reference to the Kobayashi Maru test from Star Trek.
- Naughty Dog has set up a website for Savage Starlight. It is currently unknown what it is to be used for.
Bugs and Glitches Edit
- The comic found inside the ranch house when finding Ellie may sometimes not spawn.
- The comic found inside the bathroom at the bus depot may sometimes not spawn.
- Note that in some cases, when you die or quit the game, a previously found comic may need to be retrieved again depending on where your last auto-save occurred. Always double-check to ensure that any comics you found previously don't need to be picked up again.