|Clip Capacity||1 arrow (8 reserve)|
|Location(s) Found||Bill's Town|
In an environment where ammunition is scarce, reusable projectiles such as arrows make the bow an essential survival weapon. However, arrows have a chance of breaking causing the player to lose them. Arrows deal more damage to enemies unaware of the player's presence. When human enemies without armor as well as Runners and Stalkers are unaware of the players presence, one single shot is normally all it takes to kill them, provided it's in the body or the head. However this will not work for Clickers if you hit them in the body, you must get a dead on headshot in order to kill them with one arrow. However, be warned that this has about an 80% chance of breaking your arrow so unless you are out of Shivs, using your Bow is not advisable. This will work when playing either Joel or Ellie.
Arrows follow trajectory, similar to the way they do in real life. The Player must aim higher at range to hit targets.
Arrows travel significantly slower than bullets requiring the player to lead moving targets at range.
The range, reload speed and draw speed of the bow can be upgraded.
The bow is first found in Bill's Town with the remains of an encampment which Joel uses. During the Lakeside Resort chapter, Ellie uses a different bow for deer hunting and later fighting the infected. It was later revealed that Ellie had scavenged the bow from a dead cannibal during the events of Left Behind.
The bow is completely invisible to the radar, and players start off with seven arrows if it is not boosted. The sound of arrows bouncing off environment can be heard however. It is equivalent in handling as a fully upgraded bow from the singleplayer.
If the user is aiming with the Bow for an extended period of time, the user will suffer shaking, making it gradually more difficult to aim.
A single arrow can break armor in one shot and it will take two arrows to down an enemy without the armor, the Bow is a very good choice for players that can attack while they are out of the enemy sight and that has a good aiming and skill to successfully land strikes on a moving enemy.
The Bow can be compared with the Hunting Rifle, aside from a few key differences.
- The Bow doesn't require a suppressor to be radar-proof.
- The Bow has a slightly quicker fire rate, but lacks accuracy.
The bow is a nearly silent weapon. The bows arrows are also reusable, but have a chance of breaking. Use it for stealth kills and judge when an arrow might be more effective than a bullet. Keep in mind the bow does less damage to enemies who are aware of your presence.
- In a gameplay demo, Ellie asks Joel if she can use the bow and claims that she is experienced with it. This event occurs in the full game in Bill's Town on top of a white delivery truck which Bill appeared to use as a make shift look out post. Joel denies her the use of the bow possibly because he doesn't want her to have to kill anyone or anything. This can be interpreted multiple ways because of him saying to Ellie shortly after her request for him to give her the bow "How 'bout we just leave this kind of stuff to me."
- Ellie has a separate bow, other than what Joel got in Bill's Town. In the Winter chapter, both Joel and Ellie have a bow in their inventory.
- In Left Behind, it's revealed that Ellie got her bow from one of the Cannibals that was killed by a Clicker.
- The Bow is the only weapon that doesn't need a suppressor to remain hidden from the radar.
- The Bow is the only weapon that gradually starts losing accuracy (In Factions only).
- The Bow is the only weapon that possesses reusable ammo.
- In Factions, is known that after killing enemies that are downed with an arrow, the arrow will remain hovering in the air even after the body of the enemy has disappeared and spawned elsewhere.
- In Factions, players who don't have the bow as their main weapon can still pick up arrows; this can be used strategically, by not letting your enemies pick up any extra ammo.