|First Found||Boston Quarantine Zone (Joel and Tess' hideout)|
|Base Clip Capacity||6|
|Base Max. Ammo||20|
The 9mm Pistol is a compact handgun. While it is weaker than the revolver, it has less recoil which allows for faster, more accurate follow up shots.
The 9mm Pistol is one of the most common firearms in the campaign. It's the first weapon acquired by Joel in the game, in the Boston Quarantine Zone, taken from Joel and Tess' hideout in their preparations to find Robert. Joel later gives a Beretta Model 71 Jaguar to Ellie in Pittsburgh, stating that it is "for emergencies only", but she uses it to great effect to provide cover for Joel whenever they encounter enemies. Ellie can also use it when the player controls her in Lakeside Resort and in the mall segments of Left Behind.
Many of the enemies faced by Joel and Ellie wield the 9mm Pistol. While less dangerous than those with rifles and shotguns, they are more dangerous than those with melee weapons, so caution should still be taken.
The 9mm's roles are silence, accuracy, and suppression. The 9mm is a very versatile weapon, capable of being effective at close to medium ranges. The Revolver is capable of doing the same, but it cannot be fitted with a silencer. Therefore, the 9mm is the alternative choice for having an effective weapon for all ranges. The silenced 9mm only requires two loadout points to equip, making it the cheapest silenced weapon in the game in terms of loadout points.
The 9mm is weaker than the Revolver: it deals 20 damage per shot, and thus requires five body shots to down an opponent, compared to the revolver's three shot down potential. The 9mm deals 60 damage with headshots, meaning that one headshot and two body shots or two headshots can also down an opponent.
The 9mm makes up for its lower damage with a higher rate of fire and lower recoil. The 9mm has a magazine capacity of seven shots and a starting ammo capacity of a total of ten shots. This allows for more efficient use of ammo towards headshots. More shots also allow for more suppressing fire. Many players run away after taking any form of damage. Use this to your advantage to push back enemies and distract them. Every shot that hits the enemy will cause them to flinch, making them miss shots directed towards you or your teammates. The 9mm's fast rate of fire and reload speed allows you to support your team quicker than the Revolver.
|Reload Speed||Allows you to reload the weapon faster.|
|Fire Rate||Allows you to fire the weapon faster.|
|Magazine Capacity||Lets the weapon hold more rounds before having to reload.|
- The 9mm pistol used by Joel and most other NPCs appears to be modeled after a Colt Defender with a 3 inch bushingless barrel, with either wooden or brown synthetic grips. It had been seen in trailers with both stainless and blue finishes.
- A .45 version of the Defender is the base weapon used by Nathan Drake in both Uncharted 2 and 3, as well as the Vita spin-off, Uncharted: Golden Abyss.
- Ellie and Marlene both use a different model based on the Beretta Model 71 Jaguar, which is actually chambered in .22 LR.
- Another model, a Beretta 92FS Brigadier, is used by a military patrolman in a cutscene.
- Ellie is shown cocking a 9mm pistol in The Last of Us story trailer, but this scene was not shown in the final game.